Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Walk Into Spring - Episode II

Pear Trees on Ockley - Revenge of the Shadows

"... we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
Romans 5:3-5


Today was my “I’m going to pull my hair out over these stupid shadows!” day. I really don’t like the painting right now. I know from past experience chances are that if I persevere through this phase I’ll come out on the other side the better for it, and with at least a perfectly ok painting. The source of my frustration? In a nutshell, making art. (Paradoxically also one of my greatest joys.) More particularly, the shadows in the foreground are getting kind of creepy looking, which is definitely NOT what I was going for. In a moment of weakness I thought about giving up and passing it off as part of the Yin Yang of the painting – you know, the balance between the creepiness of the shadows and the friendliness of the sidewalk beyond. Only a passing thought. My husband says “sometimes making art is like sticking a knife in your head.” Today that is the case. But never fear, gentle reader, tomorrow (hopefully) I shall move forward, bending the creepy shadows to my will.

No comments: