Friday, May 11, 2007

Tribute to the Daily Painters: A Study in Vanilla


A Study in Vanilla © 2007 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on gessobord
Gloss varnish for protection and ease of cleaning • sold unframed

It’s been a while since I painted on a panel this small ... it sure was fun! I had the idea for this piece one morning while I was making my usual breakfast. (See the No. 1 random fact on my I’ve been tagged post from a couple of days ago.) I noticed that my coffee (with French vanilla creamer), my Malt-O-Meal, and the kitchen countertop tiles were almost exactly the same color. I don’t know why I found this interesting, but I did.

Orange juice is usually a part of this stunning breakfast combo, but I decided to leave it out of this particular composition because
a) it wouldn't really go with the palette I had in mind; and
b) we were out of orange juice.

I had so much fun with this painting, I’ll definitely be doing some more of these smaller ones. Plus the gessobord came in a 4 pack and I have three left. Hmmm ... maybe the next one will be a breakfast burrito ...

1 comment:

Melanie said...

lovely! I also loved the posting from the Message - I just got the Message bible about a month ago.. its so neat! Really enjoying it.
Loved Paris and Milan and looking forward to the name :)
Have an awesome weekend, and thanks for being so inspirational!!!