Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wouldn’t it be lovely?


Antique ©2008 Karen Mathison Schmidt
5x7 • acrylic on Gessobord
Sold • private collection, Poway, California

Here’s good ol’ Henry, our bluetick coonhound, engaged in his favorite activity, except for eating and playing.

Oh, and barking and chasing squirrels. And going through our neighbors’ garbage.

And oh yeah, rolling around in cow manure or anything else really stinky he can find out in the pasture. You can rest assured that he always has to have a bath after this last one, before he’s allowed to plop down in his favorite napping spot, above.

As far as the composition of this one is concerned, you may notice that I added a throw that wasn't in the original sketch, draped over the back of the sofa. After I started painting the picture, I realized it really needed something there to break up that big space, and to repeat the color of the rug in that opposite corner.

I think it’s pretty cool that as an artist I can create a blue throw out of thin air right where I need it in a painting. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could do that in real life?

”Hmmm ... I think I’d like a little antique blue finished table right here in this corner, with an old lace tablecloth and a pitcher of hydrangea blossoms and wisteria on it.” Et voila! There it would be, right where you wanted it. Or better yet, "I think I'd like a chocolate éclair on a little antique china plate with yellow roses right here on my desk, to go along with my afternoon coffee.” And there it would be, right there next to your keyboard.

Yep. That would be nice.

Anyway, here are some close-up details of the painting:


1 comment:

Melanie said...

wow wow wow - this is so beautiful. and yes - in addition to just being able to pull a throw out of thin air, i'd like to be able to pull a maid out of thin air to clean my house :)