Saturday, April 12, 2008

Misunderstood


Dreaming in Color © 2008 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6x6 • acrylic on Gessobord
SOLD • private collection, Poway, California

I love painting Bailey. Her colors and markings are really beautiful. Here she is in all her napping glory, on a pile of books and paint tube boxes next to the little square ceramic planter where I keep my colored pencils, while the early morning light comes streaming through the window.

I love this cat, although some people, my husband among them, don’t get her. They think she’s grouchy and stand-offish.

I understand her.

Her needs and wants are simple, really; Bailey thinks of herself as the Queen of the House (nay, Universe) and all she asks is to be treated as such. That’s all. Totally understandable.

Here are my work-in-progress photos.
These first 2 show blocking in shapes and colors.



And here’s where I paint a burnt sienna glaze over the whole thing, to warm things up a bit:


And then add more detailed layers of color ...



Here are some details of the finished painting:



... and now, for an unnecessarily EXTREME close-up:


Cool, huh?

2 comments:

Patricia D Arndt said...

I love this painting Karen, she reminds me of our cat. I have been enjoying your blog for a few months now.

Melanie said...

i understand Bailey - i have similar wants :) ha!

This is so lovely. you are so talented - you make me want to go out and buy acrylic paint and canvas even though i'd have no clue what to do with them!