Monday, January 19, 2009

The painting of my dreams ...


Dream Sailing ©2009 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on Gessobord
gloss varnish for protection and easy cleaning

SOLD • private collection, West Chicago, Illinois

I dreamed this one up this morning while I was still partway between asleep and awake. I still don't know what made me think of it, but the feeling I had was deeply peaceful. I wanted to keep the painting kind of ethereal and dreamy, so I used a lot of layered glazes applied with a painting knife. The only part of the painting where I didn't use the knife is the sailboat, because I wanted that to be a little more defined. I had a lot of fun with the texture on this one. No work-in-progress photos on this one, but I've included some close-up details, so you can see all the little nuances.

I love that word, "nuances."

And here they are:





No comments: