Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Anticipating dogwoods in bloom ...


Dogwood ©2004 Karen Mathison Schmidt
24 x 18 • acrylic on masonite
NFS

Well, only 11 more days 'til spring is officially here. The dogwoods are not quite in full bloom yet, but I so look forward to them every year. I love the white ones. Here's a painting I did several years ago of one of my favorites, growing in the beautifully landscaped gardens of the Norton Art Gallery in town. This link may take a long time to come up, but it's worth it to see the panorama of azaleas, which will start blooming in just a week or two, I think!

The background of this painting (everything except the white blooms) is entirely made up of layers of transparent color glazes, which has the effect of making even the darkest areas look luminous.

No comments: