Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dark and Wild and Daring and Mysterious!


Dark Bayou ©2009 Karen Mathison Schmidt
12 x 12 x 1 inch deep • acrylic on cradled Gessobord • sold unframed
SOLD • private collection, North Attleboro, Massachusetts

I love the tangled wildness of this one. At least I felt kind of wild and daring while I was painting it.

We’re fast approaching that time of year when the twilight just lingers and lingers long after the sun has actually dipped below the horizon. This is a bayou about a half mile from our place, at that time of day just before total darkness, when shadows are deep and rich and mysterious, and it feels good to know that just a few minutes’ walk will get my wild and daring self and our wild and daring dogs safely back to husband, home and hearth!

I used a lot of glazing on this one, and some palette knife action that made for some interesting texture. Here are a few close-up details ... wild!





No comments: