Saturday, May 30, 2009

A visual prayer

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.

Isaiah 30:15


Dawn ©2009 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on Gessobord
SOLD • private collection, North Attleboro, Massachusetts

I can’t believe I get to live here. I may talk bad about the hot, humid summer and the yucky bugs and snakes, but early in the morning when I’m out walking with the dogs and we get to see things like this ... well, it’s sort of like a visual prayer ... the earth quietly praising God ... I’m just so blessed to be a part of it all.

Oh, and I’ve discovered another favorite color: Old Delft Blue. Deep and rich, and slightly on the purple side. But not too much. Just enough.

Oops, I only took 3 work in progress photos! When I went to download them from my camera, I thought, is that all I took?

Well, here they are:

The initial sketch in a mixture of black and that Old Delft Blue



Blocking in the color areas.



Here I added a fuschia glaze to the sky and started adding color layers to define the land and the water. This is where I slipped into the zone and totally forgot to take any more progress pics. I’ll try to do better next time!


Oh, and somewhere along the line I changed the trees from May trees to February trees. Artist’s perogative.

Here are some close-up details:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I like this one... good job!
....summer's almost here yea!!! of course... i live here though... California weather you know....
Me. cumquat.