Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Moo Cows


Spice of Life ©2009 Karen Mathison Schmidt
12 x 12 x 1 • acrylic on cradled Gessobord

SOLD • private collection, The Plains, Virginia

I love painting cows. Well, not painting the actual cows, but painting pictures of them.

Although now that I think of it, painting the actual cows might be kind of fun. With non-toxic paint of course.

This painting is a bit of a departure for me, color-wise. The day was lightly overcast, calling for a softer palette than I usually use. There’s always a wide variety of cow colors and shapes in Farmer Mike’s pasture across the road. I love these cows. The way they move around in different arrangements, always a pretty picture. Sometimes after watching them for a while I think that the way they keep rearranging themselves into different groupings seems almost choreographed. Like a big ballet of some kind.

A really, really slow, lumbering pasture ballet.

And here are some close-up details:









No comments: