Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An outpouring of praise

Flashes of scarlet, and glimpses of purple;
Echoes of birdsong and the whisper of rain;
So intense an outpouring is infusing my senses;
Creation responding to the call of Your name.

And I hear it beginning - the feeling rising,
and the sense of Your presence in all I survey.

And the mountains and the hills shall break forth before You
with shouts of joy and words of praise,
And the sunlight that glistens upon the water
will lift my heart once again
and the whole earth shall praise Your name.


from The Whole Earth by Eden’s Bridge


Autumn Surprise ©2009 by Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 • acrylic on 1/8" thick Gessobord

SOLD • private collection, Puyallup, Washington

I did this painting from memory and imagination as a kind of color & texture exercise. It turned out to be a celebration of color. I used a brushes and a palette knife, layering on color glazes. The idea for the title came from the fact that since it had been stormy and rainy and overcast almost all the way through October, I didn’t really notice the leaves changing color until the sun came out last week and voilĂ ! The colors of fall have emerged!

No work in progress photos on this, but as an extra added bonus I’ve posted some pics below, that I took Sunday afternoon -- a gray day, but sometimes you can get really nice photos on a day like that, all soft and misty. I plan to take some more tomorrow, which promises to be bright and sunny.

And here are some close-up brushwork details of the painting:






And now just a few samples of the real thing!




No comments: