Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Last Pecans ... at last!



The Last Pecans ©2010 by Karen Mathison Schmidt
30 x 24 x 2 • acrylic on 2" cradled Gessobord
sides painted burnt umber • unframed
gloss varnish

SOLD

Here’s a large painting of my Dad walking back to the house after squeezing a couple more buckets full of pecans from the trees in the south pasture a few weeks ago.

I love working on larger boards, even though it takes a little longer. It’s easy to overwork a large painting, though. I keep having to remind myself to keep it loose!

This one has lots of color layers, especially in the foreground, where I used a combination of palette knife and brushes.

Here are some brushwork details:










5 comments:

myra anderson said...

I love, love, love these paintings!

Kerri Settle said...

Beautiful! I love the whole thing!

Liz said...

Your paintings are amazing! The colors glow!!

Dreama Tolle Perry said...

Karen--I am absolutely knocked out by the beauty of your work. It has everything I love--glow, color, movement, and the always necessary but mysterious...IT!

Thanks for commenting on my blog so that I in turn found your work. Love, love , love it!

Leslie Saeta said...

I just saw this painting and I have to say ... Wow! It is stunning!