Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Feelin’ wild!


Windswept ©2011 by Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 inches • oil on Gessobord

SOLD • private collection, San Antonio, Texas

I love watching the horses running out in the pasture across the road from us. I felt kind of wild today, and I wanted this painting to have a sense of freedom, so I just let loose with the color choices. My husband suggested the titles, Bad Hair Day, A Horse of a Different Color, Wild Thing or Auntie Em! Auntie Em! That last one, of course, is an allusion to the tornado scene from The Wizard of Oz. I told him I would take all of these under advisement.

In the end I guess I got out all my wildness for today during the painting process, because when it came time to choose a title I went with a pretty tame one: Windswept.

No comments: