Friday, May 20, 2011

Iris beginnings ... plus wall surfin’

untitled iris painting work in progress
24 x 30 inches • oil on 2" cradled Gessobord


Man-boyhowdy, it’s been a while since I tackled a painting this large and a subject this intricate! My first idea for these irises was to do an 8 x 10 or so. But while I was doing a pencil sketch I suddenly flashed on how striking these flowers could be as a LARGE painting. I know 24 x 30 isn’t large for some artists, but it is for me. This one is taking some patience -- I’ve been working on this underpainting all day! -- but I’m hopeful it will turn out like I’m seeing it in my imagination. We’ll see!

Meanwhile, I thought I’d show you all how Andy likes to nap on a summery day like today.


In case you can’t quite make out what you’re seeing, his back legs are straight up in the air, and his front half is twisted around so that his front legs are flat against the wall.

We call this pose of his wall surfin’. The beadboard wainscoting must feel cool on his belly. Or maybe he’s just weird.

Probably a little of both.

No comments: