Monday, May 9, 2011

Overnight Sensation



Irresistible Joy
6 x 6 inches • oil on Gessobord

SOLD • private collection, Puyallup, Washington

This morning when I went out to feed Mustachio the Cat (if you look closely you’ll get why we named him thus) I saw that the Asian lilies out in front had busted out in blooms practically overnight. So my choice of painting subject today was narrowed down to two: Mustachio or the lilies. As you can see, I went the floral route. Tomorrow will be Mustachio’s turn.

Four or five years ago I painted a large one of red day lilies entitled Inexpressible Joy. These days it lives in the home of an art lover in Puyallup, Washington, together with about a dozen more of my paintings (as well as the paintings of other artists, I’m sure!)

I almost named today’s painting Inexpressible Joy II, thinking I would start a series of red lilies akin to the Neighborhood Watch series in which I feature various pets gazing out windows. But at the last minute I changed it to Irresistible Joy. Maybe the next one will be Irrepressible Joy ... and then maybe indescribable ... then uncontainable ... then ... um ... well, I’ll think of something!

No comments: