Friday, April 27, 2012

Fresh off the easel ...

SOLD

Stackin’ Up Z’s  © 2012 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 inches • oil on archival, museum-quality Gessobord TM
private collection • Poway, California

Here’s our Andy, doing what he does best. These days I’m trying to develop a looser, quicker way of painting with these small ones. My goal is to complete three to five of these small paintings a week, in addition to painting every day on larger works. This is the third one I’ve done since I’ve started this routine, and I really like it. Ironically, the part of this painting I had the most trouble with was the background. I wiped just that part three times before I finally got something I was satisfied with!

And here is the large landscape I delivered last week:

Edgewood Memory © 2012 by Karen Mathison Schmidt
30 x 30 inches • oil & mixed media on 2" cradled archival Gessobord TM

Commission • private collection, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

This is the north pasture across the road, in February, with the early morning mist lying on the fields. 

My client, who commissioned this as a surprise for her husband’s birthday last week, loved it, and after she gave it to her husband she texted me a picture of him standing with the painting, grinning from ear to ear, and the caption “He LOVES it!” 

I love my job.

Happy painting!




1 comment:

Amy Metz said...

Oh my gosh, Karen, that painting is wonderful! I love it. Just beautiful.