Sunday, September 16, 2012

Tea Time for Moustachio

Tea for Three  © 2012 by Karen Mathison Schmidt
10 x 8 x 7/8 inches • acrylic on cradled GessobordTM
gloss varnish for UV protection • sides painted dark umber
can be beautifully displayed with or without a frame

from my eBay store



Here’s a whimsical glimpse of Moustachio, lingering after tea with friends. My inspiration for this painting was the photo I took of Moustachio waiting for his dinner on the front porch. I was struck by the similarity in shape between his legs and the table leg. As artists, we’re trained to notice these things. :)

It also strikes me now that I’ve finished the painting, that Moustachio’s demeanor is much like that of the Blue Dog in Louisiana artist George Rodrigue’s paintings. Maybe I should do a whole series of Moustachio in this exact same pose. I’m envisioning it now ... Moustachio at the Louvre, Moustachio at Tower Bridge, Moustachio visiting the Cathedral at Chartres, Moustachio sailboating off Nantucket, Moustachio at a vineyard in Tuscany, Moustachio visiting the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence (Impressed? Don’t be ... I googled it), Moustachio in the tulip fields of Holland, Moustachio ice fishing in Nova Scotia ... well, you get the idea.


2 comments:

Sara said...

I am in support of this idea. :)

Karen M Schmidt said...

Thanks, Sara ... wouldn't it be fun?