Saturday, November 17, 2012

Re-creating the routine ...

Here’s Tabasco, my latest commission work-in-progress, nearly finished!

Over the past few weeks I’ve rediscovered something I already knew: once my work-a-day routine has been interrupted for an extended period of time, it’s REALLY difficult for me to get my rhythm back. Things are a little different temporarily around here because my husband is still basically bedridden while we’re working together day by day to build his strength and get his mobility back after an extended hospital stay recovering from a fall. Even though things are not quite back to normal yet, I’m extremely grateful to have him home again!

Meanwhile, it’s that time of year when the daylight hours are getting fewer and fewer, so as far as painting goes it’s taken a little figuring out but together Paul and I have sort of re-invented the daily routine so I can make the most of those mid-morning to early afternoon hours to get back to regular painting ... hallelujah!

My sweet client who commissioned this painting weeks ago has been wonderfully understanding and patient, allowing me to take my time painting her cute little Tabasco ... Thanks so much, Madeleine!

I haven’t forgotten my promise to show you all how I took her photo and, per her request, put her little pooch in a setting of quilts and comfy blankets, and I will do that in the next day or two, but today I wanted to introduce our newest family member ...

Here’s Jo, snuggling up with Ray for an afternoon nap. On a sad note, our beautiful old Bailey passed away last summer (I just couldn’t bring myself to post about it at the time) and ever since, Ray has been a little lonely. We had been thinking it was maybe time to adopt a new kitty companion, and then Jo showed up at our neighbor’s house. We have no idea where she came from, as their Socks and our Moustachio and Ray are all male (not to mention neutered!), and our two houses are surrounded by pastures and crop land. Eleven-year-old Morgin next door wanted so badly to keep her, but her mom and dad were afraid that their four miniature dachshunds would hurt her, so we said we would take her and she could live upstairs (my studio and office space) with Ray, and Morgin could come visit her whenever she wanted.

So that’s how she came to be part of our family. And here’s how she got her name ...

We were going to call her Mica, because her markings reminded us of the stone, but because she just wouldn’t stay away from my coffee, Paul suggested we name her Cuppa Joe. But Joe is totally a boy name, so we shortened it to Jo for a girl and it fits perfectly. And because we certainly don’t need Jo all hopped up on caffeine and French vanilla creamer, it gave me a good excuse to get a pretty new cup with a lid on it to drink my coffee out of.

Here’s Jo sleeping on my lap while I paint. I love her orange-and-white striped thigh-high. Very fashionable. 

On her first day with us, I explained to Jo the way it works around here: “You pose in pretty places, I paint you, sell the paintings and buy kitten chow and fun cat toys.” 

Now before you get all indignant and start quoting from the Kitten Employment Protection Act of 1973 (don’t bother googling it; I just made it up), I DID explain that these Studio Cat Duties are totally voluntary, and the kitten chow, fun cat toys and warm cozy places to sleep are in no way contingent upon her participation. Jo, however, said it sounded like fun, and proceeded from day one to jump into her posing duties with both feet.


And just when you thought it couldn’t possibly get any cuter ...

 I think she’s getting the hang of it!

I see many, many fun cat toys in Jo’s future ...








2 comments:

Stephanie Berry said...

Adorable painting Karen. What a cute kitty too!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Yep that last photo is a heart grabber...smile!
Sorry to hear that you and Paul are having such a difficult time but it can only get better from now and must be a relief to have him home.
Really sorry too hear about Bailey, I feel through reading your blog that I know your fur babies and will miss seeing him on here. The one good thing is he will live on in your paintings and photographs. But I know your pain I lost wee Joshua back in September and miss him terribly.....