Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A cat is a poem

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem.

– JEAN BURDEN

SOLD

Garden Gem  © 2013 Karen Mathison Schmidt, artist
6 x 6 inches • oil & mixed media on museum quality, archival GessobordTM
private collection • Leonding, Austria 

I toyed with the idea of making the title Nap, Interrupted (which I still like, and may end up using for another painting down the line).

But after I finished I thought with the leaf design on the box, the swirly arm of the metal chair and the flowers in the background, Jo looks like she’s lounging in the garden.

I took lots of work-in-progress photos which I will try to post tomorrow; I had so much fun with the heavy, rustic texture on the box Jo has claimed as her latest favorite napping place.


Happy painting!

No comments: