Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A girl and her dog


Whoever said that diamonds
are a girl’s best friend
never owned a dog.

– ANONYMOUS


COMMISSION

Aubrie and Buddy  © 2013 by Karen Mathison Schmidt, portrait artist
6 x 12 inches • oil on 2" deep cradled GessobordTM
private collection • Houston, Texas

This is one of the top secret, highly classified, need-to-know-basis-only commissions that I did earlier in the summer, now ready to be revealed!

This portrait of Aubrie and her best canine friend, Buddy, was commissioned by Aubrie’s Mom as a surprise birthday gift, so I couldn’t show it here until after the big day, which was last Saturday. 

The reference photo was a flash photo taken in a dark room, so it was really hard to see any detail in Aubrie’s eyes, and hard to see the true color of Buddy’s coat, but Babs (Aubrie’s Mom) sent me several other pics of Buddy and a beautiful bridal portrait of Aubrie from several years ago so in the end I had wonderful reference material for both subjects.

“I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely adore the painting you made of me and my precious dog. I know that I will outlive Buddy and will have your painting as a beautiful reminder! ... Thank you from the bottom of my heart!” – Aubrie (Houston, Texas)

“My daughter was thrilled with the portrait of her and Buddy! She was so excited she texted the picture you had sent to all her family and friends and immediately made it the wallpaper on her phone. Thanks again for an absolutely awesome legacy and you will probably hear from us again.” – Babs (Bossier City, Louisiana)

Thanks, Babs, for choosing me to paint this portrait ... it was an absolute joy!

I’m still working on another top secret, highly classified, need-to-know-basis-only commission that I’m really excited about, and which will be revealed in the not-too-distant future.

Meanwhile, I’ll be taking only a limited number of commissions before Christmas, so if you’re thinking of giving a painting as a special gift, it’s not too early to get your request into the schedule!

2 comments: