Monday, September 2, 2013

Headlong into autumn

SOLD

Matilda  © 2013 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 inches • oil on archival, museum quality GessobordTM
private collection • Anchorage, Alaska

Well, really, I didn’t mean to take practically the entire month of August off from my blog. Really.

But now here we are on the evening of Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer (all together now: “Aawwwww!”) but also the unofficial beginning of autumn (all together now: “Yippee!”) and I’m starting off the new season (I know, I know, fall doesn’t officially begin until September 21st) with a painting of our Matilda. 

And even though we still have a few 100-degree days in the forecast ahead, I’m confident in the promise of cooler weather is right around the corner ... at least that’s what I keep telling all our dogs and cats, who are lying around the house with their paws over the floor air conditioning registers, claiming they’re just melting, and it’s way too hot to go out and chase squirrels and bark at cows and all they want to do is stay in and watch Animal Planet and nap. 

Which, truth be told, is basically mostly what they do even when it’s beautiful out.

No comments: