Monday, April 6, 2015

“Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth”
-- Psalm 100:1

Excerpt from “Whole Earth” by Eden’s Bridge 
(Celtic Praise album):

Flashes of scarlet
And glimpses of purple
Echoes of birdsong
And the whisper of rain
So intense an outpouring
Is bemusing my senses
Creation responding
To the call of Your name.

And I hear it beginning
A feeling arising
A sense of Your presence
In all I survey

And the mountains and the hills
Shall break forth before You
With shouts of joy
And words of praise
And the sunlight that glistens
Upon the waters
Will lift my heart
Once again
And the whole earth
The whole earth will praise Your name

© 1998 Whole World Publishing

SOLD

April Evening  © 2015 Karen Mathison Schmidt
11 x 14 x ¾ inches • oil on ¾" cradled Ampersand Museum Series GessobordTM
private collection • Canada

My inspiration for this was the early evening sunlight glistening on the water of the pond in the north pasture, which was spilling over from heavy spring rains. It reminds me of the Eden’s Bridge song “Whole Earth.” 

I loved painting this one alla prima (wet into wet, all in one go); laying on those luscious, buttery colors nice and thick. 

The impressionist palette for this one was heavily influenced by the workshop I went to in January, taught by Susan Sarback. Here are the colors I used (I’m putting the brand names, too, because some of the colors vary slightly from brand to brand):

Permanent Magenta (Winsor & Newton)
Permanent Mauve (W&N)
Dioxanine Mauve (Old Holland)
French Ultramarine Blue Light Extra (O.H.)
Cerulean Blue (Sennelier)
Turquoise Light (O.H.)
Caribbean Blue (O.H.)
Veridian Green Light (O.H.)
Cadmium Green Pale (Holbein)
Cadmium Yellow Pale (Holbein)
Cadmium Yellow Medium (O.H.)
Cadmium Yellow Extra Deep (O.H.)
Cadmium Red Light (Rembrandt)
Cadmium Red Medium (Rembrandt)
Permanent Madder Light (Rembrandt)
Cadmium Red Deep (O.H.)
Brilliant Pink (O.H.
Titanium White (O.H.)

And oh, yes, I was planning to share details today about a workshop I’ll be teaching next April in Savannah, but there are just a couple of details I’m still checking on, so that info will be in tomorrow’s post. 

Meanwhile…

Happy Painting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love looking at the different brush strokes in your paintings. The colors make me happy. Thank you for including the list of colors you used.