Saturday, April 18, 2015

Sun Kissed, plus: I’m in the Red River Revel again!

SOLD

Sun Kissed © 2015 Karen Mathison Schmidt
8 x 8 x ¾ inches • oil on ¾" cradled Ampersand Museum Series GessobordTM
private collection • Athens, Texas

Here’s a picture of Ray, sitting on a chair in my studio, bathed in the morning sunlight streaming through the window.

This one was somewhat of an experiment for me, trying for a true impressionistic feel, simplifying the details and keeping the brushstrokes nice and loose. My favorite part is the sunlight on the edge of the chair seat.

Here are the underpainting, and one work-in-progress pic.


 The painting went so fast after that, that next thing I knew it was done!

Oh, and one more thing: I got my Red River Revel acceptance letter in the mail yesterday -- woo-hoo! I’m so excited to be accepted again this year; it promises to be a great one, because it’s the 40th Annual!

Here are a couple of photos from last October:

My sister took this one from the overpass. My booth is in the far corner of the first blue striped canopy. I hope I can get the same booth location this year. We were right by the restrooms and the food booths plaza, and one of the music stages is right across the plaza, so we got a concert every night.

Here’s a close-up view of my display, just as it was getting dark so the street lamps were coming on and we had our booth lights on. The artist across from me and I strung little round Christmas lights between our booths, over the walkway, giving our section kind of a New Orleans feel at night. So much fun! I’m building new display walls for this year, to neaten things up and allow me to hang more in the space, and I’m making some cool bins for my limited edition prints, too, from big metal planters that I found at Hobby Lobby. I’m so EXCITED!






No comments: