Monday, May 4, 2015

Storm Break

SOLD

Storm Break © 2015 Karen Mathison Schmidt
9 x 12 x ¾ inches • oil on ¾" cradled GessobordTM
private collection • Salem, Oregon

This is from a photo of the pecan trees in the south pasture. It had been thunderstorm-y all day, and just before sunset the clouds broke and that glorious late afternoon light came streaming through the trees!
Even though I started with an impressionist palette on this, it has a kind of tonalist feel to it. I made my darks really deep and rich so the bright light through the branches would have a strong impact.



I have two more paintings-in-progress waiting in the wings: the paperwhites, which I hope to finish tomorrow; and this one, inspired in part by a photo I took in New York’s Central Park last October:

Old Friends WORK-IN-PROGRESS • 12 x 24 inches • oil on cradled GessobordTM

No comments: