Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Step-by-step, putting it together!

Here are the work-in-progress photos for Rose Queen.

SOLD

Rose Queen II  © 2015 Karen Mathison Schmidt
12 x 12 x 1½ inches • oil on 1.5" deep cradled GessobordTM


private collection • Shreveport, Louisiana

I started by going over my sketch with a Sharpie, then an acrylic underpainting using heavy glazes of phthalo blue and green, with just a little bit of magenta in the bricks. 

Then I started with the oils. 

My palette for this painting:
French ultramarine
Cerulean blue
Caribbean blue
Viridian green
Cadmium green pale
Cadmium yellow pale
Cadmium yellow medium
Cadmium yellow extra deep
Cadmium red medium
Rose dore madder lake antique extra (whew! I love this color!)
Permanent madder light
Alizarin crimson lake extra
Permanent magenta
Permanent rose
Persian (Indian) red
Yellow ochre
Titanium white

(Note: I don’t usually have ALL those reds, roses and pinks on my palette at one time, but I want all that variety for the colors in the tea roses.)















No comments: