Monday, July 13, 2015

A Golden Oldie

Golden retrievers are not bred to be guard dogs, and considering the size of their hearts and their irrepressible joy in life, they are less likely to bite than to bark, less likely to bark than to lick a hand in greeting. In spite of their size, they think they’re lap dogs, and in spite of being dogs, they think they are also human, and nearly every human they meet is judged to have the potential to be a boon companion who might, at any moment, cry, “Let’s go!” and lead them on a great adventure.

DEAN KOONTZ

 Jake  © 2015 Karen Mathison Schmidt
16 x 16 inches • oil on 2" deep cradled GessobordTM

Commission • Houston, Texas


Hey, everyone! I haven’t posted anything in a while because we have been busy making more preparations to move, but we just found out it will be roughly three more weeks and a bit before we close on the sale of our house, so today I’m back at the easel and the computer while we wait just a bit longer. (I’m reminded never to pray for patience unless you want a LOT of things to come up in your life to practice on!)

I’m also playing catch-up on answering art-related email. Thanks to all of you who have sent messages and questions; I apologize for the delay, but I’m answering each and every one, hopefully by day’s end tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I wanted to share this new painting of Jake, the Golden Retriever, which was commissioned by his “Mom” as a birthday surprise for his "Dad.” Jake LOVES to go swimming. Here he is after a good swim, dripping wet and grinning from ear to ear while he dries off amidst a crowd of cheery Texas bluebonnets.

My husband says Jake and the Bluebonnets would make a great name for a Texas swing band. I can hear it now: “Ladies and gentlemen -- LIVE from Austin City Limits -- it’s JAKE and the BLUEBONNETS!!”

And the crowd goes wild.


2 comments:

De Selby said...

Love! We have fallen deeper in love, daily, with our rescue dog. First dog in 30 years. He has the heart of a Golden, the brain of a bird, and a body mostly cocker but maybe Sussex spaniel due to broad body--and 39 pounds! Your painting glows.

Karen M Schmidt said...

Thanks so much, De! We love all our rescues, too. None are goldens, but I have known two personally in my life, and the more I read about them the more I think that we would eventually (maybe a few years down the road) like to take one into our family. I hear they're great with other smaller pets.