Thursday, June 9, 2016

Another in a series of daffodils


There are always flowers for those who want to see them.

HENRI MATISSE

Sunny Dance  ©2016 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 inches • oil on ⅛" Museum Series (archival) GessobordTM
gloss varnish (UV protective)

eBay auction ends evening of June 16


Sun Catcher  ©2016 Karen Mathison Schmidt
6 x 6 inches • oil on ⅛" GessobordTM
gloss varnish (UV protective)


eBay auction ends evening of June 13

While working on the Tabasco chihuahua painting, I’ve been warming up in the mornings with daffodils. Here are the first two in an impromptu series that I’m working on, and I have two more underpaintings ready to go. No matter how much I think I know about color, there’s always more to learn, and doing these all in a row is helping me see more and more nuances in the shadows and in the translucent petals. 

Doing a series is also a good way to practice keeping things spontaneous and loose, and avoiding nit-pickiness and getting caught up in too much detail. Just knowing there’s going to be another one right behind this one keeps me from over-finishing. Fun!

Here are the next two underpaintings waiting in the wings:



Happy Painting!


No comments: